It’s easy to view your ancestors’ records:
- Click on 'Search' at the top of the page and select the type of record you are looking for, or choose 'Search all records' for a broader search.
- Enter information such as name, year of birth/marriage/death, location, etc. Remember, it is not always necessary to complete every search field and sometimes less is more.
- When you are ready, click the blue 'View X results' button at the bottom of the page.
- Select the blue image, transcript or PDF icons next to the search result you’d like to view
- If you have a valid subscription or PayAsYouGo credits you’ll be taken to the record. If not, you’ll be prompted to register and/or subscribe to access the record
Transcripts are typed versions of original records and usually contain the most important information for your family research.
Images of original historical records are digitised and published in high quality on Findmypast. Not all of our records include images but you should always check the image if available because it often contains extra information than the transcript doesn’t.
Some of our records are published as downloadable Portable Document Formats (PDFs). While the amount of information you can glean from our PDFs is significant, searching them relies on optical character recognition (OCR) so is not always as reliable as searching transcripts.
Please note: You need a valid subscription or PayAsYouGo credits to view most of the records on Findmypast.