How can I provide proof of death to request the opening of a record?


You will be required to scan and send a copy of a fully certified death certificate from General Register Office (GRO) or the equivalent Governing body if the death occurred in a country other than the UK. By certified copy, we mean the original certificate as registered and provided when the death occurred. This can be a copy as opposed to an original however it must contain the full registered details. If the criteria are not met, you may be requested to either re-submit or provide further evidence, such as a birth certificate.

Search FAQ's for more answers

If this doesn't answer your question, enter a search term below and click 'Search'.

Or contact customer services here.