Your Step By Step Guide To Getting Started
With billions of records online at findmypast, researching your family tree may at first seem a little daunting. Follow these easy steps to help you get started.
1. Where To Start
2. Build Your Family Tree
- Start building a family tree at findmypast. It’s free to use and totally secure.
- Put the initial information you have acquired into your tree and begin to grow from there.
- Add any extra information that you find along the way to each family member’s profile.
3. Birth / Marriage / Death Records
- Understand why they're so important and how they can help, with all the jargon explained by our experts.
- When you’ve found an ancestor, use the information to order their birth, marriage or death certificate.
- Certificates provide lots of extra detail, such as parents’ names, occupations and address.
4. Census Substitutes
- Discover your family in our census substitutes including the exclusive Landed Estate Court Rentals, and the indispensible Griffths' Valuation.
5. Newspaper Reports
- Findmypast have scanned millions of pages of historical local newspapers, dating from 1710 to 1963.
- Search for your ancestors within their pages to discover what life was like and add more detail to what you know about your family history.
- Newspapers reported both local and national news, inquests, obituaries, scandals and criminal trials.
6. Broaden Your Search
- Explore findmypast’s other collections - there are over 1.5 billion records to search!
- You could learn about your ancestor’s time in the army, at sea or even in prison.
- Find living relatives, research your Irish roots and discover other overseas relatives with millions of records available from all round the world.